Friday, November 10, 2006

The Poppy Orthodoxy

I'm glad to see that the tyranny of the Remembrance Day poppy is finally being challenged. In the past week we've had a Christian group arguing that their white poppy is more appropriate than the tradition red one as it represents peace, rather than commemorating war, whilst Channel Four newsreader Jon Snow (who I ordinarily consider something of a knob head), has been refusing to wear any form of poppy on air. Now, I probably need to make clear here that I mean no disrespect to war veterans with my attitude. I have nothing against people buying or wearing poppies if they choose to. What I object to is the attitude which has taken root over recent years that you have to openly display this symbol of your respect. Failure to do so is, it is implied, somehow disrespectful; unpatriotic, even. Consequently, every TV presenter, every public official, school teacher and pupil feels obliged to wear one for fear of being branded anti-social if they don't. The whole poppy business has effectively become a question of 'political correctness'. Bizarrely, the kind of people demanding its observance are precisely the type of knee-jerk reactionaries who are usually to be found braying on about 'political correctness gone mad', whenever they're told they can't call ethnic minorities 'niggers' and 'wogs' any more.

In my opinion, for what little it is worth, is that observance of such things is a deeply personal thing. This poppy orthodoxy is yet another symptom of this strange notion which seems to be prevalent in public life these days, that we all have wear our hearts on our sleeves and make extravagant public displays of grief, jubilation, pain or whatever emotion is deemed appropriate for a situation. Bollocks, I say. These are private emotions and I reserve the right to express them privately and discretely. For the same reasons I'm getting increasingly fed up with the number 'two minute silences' we are expected to observe for this anniversary or that. Look, I have no wish to appear disrespectful, but once again, shouldn't it be my personal choice as to whether, or how, I commemorate such things? While we're on the subject, why have we suddenly reverted to observing the Remembrance Day two minute silence on 11 November, instead of on Remembrance Sunday? OK, I know 11 November is Armistice Day, but the silence is nowadays meant to commemorate the dead of all wars, not just World War One (hence the concept of Remembrance Sunday)? My biggest gripe about this reversion is that a 'corporate observance' can be imposed upon workers, denying them their freedom of choice of commemoration. It is with relief that I note that this year the eleventh is a Saturday.

The bottom line is, if you want to wear a poppy and observe two minutes silence on the eleventh, fine. Just don't try and impose your concept of commemoration on everyone else. Of course, the big question now is - do I choose to buy and/or wear a poppy? Obviously, I don't wear one. As to whether I buy one, well, that's my personal business. Just don't assume that I'm disrespectful if I don't conspicuously display my feelings. Spare me your disapproving looks.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home