Sunday, November 05, 2006

Secret Admirers...

I saw a bit of that South Bank Show special about George Michael the other day (do you think they were trying to tell him something by showing it at Halloween?). I got a bit perturbed when he started going on about how celebrity gossip is used by the establishment to deflect public attention from the real issues, as that sounded dangerously close to my own rantings in a recent post. I got to wondering - does George read Sleaze Diary? In fact, is he actually the mystery person who anonymously commented on another recent post? Now, I'm going to be honest here - I always thought Wham! were crap and I've never bought one of George's solo records. Not really my cup of tea - not enough wild guitar action. So George, if it's you, I'm sorry but I can't reciprocate the artistic admiration. That's not to say that I don't like George. Indeed, in recent years (since he stopped releasing records), I've actually come to quite like him.

Whilst it would be great to have a celebrity fan, I'd really been hoping for someone a bit more, well, heavyweight, than a bloke who used to sing with Wham!. Professor Simon Schama, perhaps. Or George Clooney. Ian Hislop would be good. Ray Stubbs or Gary Lineker from Match of the Day. Let's face it, Chris Moyles off of Radio One would be preferable. Hell, I'd even settle for Scott bloody Mills off of Radio One. But George Michael? Ah well, I suppose beggars can't be choosers. Mind you, I do have a 'six degrees of separation' type connection with George. Way back when I was a student in Bristol, I was in the same History tutorial group as a girl who allegedly slept with his Wham! band mate Andrew Ridgeley (according to The Sun, which paid her a couple of hundred quid for the story).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home