Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Why is This Service So Shit?

How ironic, just as I'm attempting to post this comment questioning why Blogger is so shit, my connection to said service fails, leaving me unable to post! Of course, this outage is just due to 'routine maintenance' and was announced in advance. Problem was that the time Blogger gave for this 'scheduled outage' was formatted as 'PDT'. Guess what guys? Many of your users aren't on the West Coast of the USA. Personally, I'm still on BST, so I haven't a fucking clue what "2pm PDT" means in real time. Mind you, I would also question exactly why a scheduled outage is required today when the service was down for a large part of yesterday.? Haven't our blogs been inaccessible for long enough? As usual, yesterday's problems passed without, comment, explanation or apology from Blogger. I wasted a large proportion of my evening attempting to post .

Come on guys, this really isn't acceptable, now is it? Particularly in view of the fact that Blogger is currently owned by Google. What is the point of purchasing a popular service like Blogger, then running it into the ground through an apparent lack of resources and a complete indifference toward your customers? If the Google search engine was inaccessible to users for long periods, that would be considered completely unacceptable, wouldn't it? You guys wouldn't tolerate it, would you? Obviously not. So why the fuck do you persist in treating Blogger users in this way?

The situation is getting so bad that I'm actively looking into alternate ways of hosting and maintaining Sleaze Diary. Obviously, I don't want to lose the existing posts and archive if at all possible. But, if push comes to shove, I'll simply start afresh. In the meantime Blogger guys, I'm not going to be deterred from publishing this post. Trust me, I can wait out this latest little tantrum on your part! If necessary I'll simply copy this text and save it on my hard drive, and post it when you've decided to fulfill your obligations to your customers by actually functioning! Joking aside, this is a serious issue. I really don't think that it is unreasonable for users to expect to be able to maintain their blogs on a regular basis, and for those blogs to be accessible to visitors on demand - right now you are making both damn near impossible.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home