Wednesday, October 11, 2006

The Edge of Satire

You know, I'm frequently surprised at the number of other online satire editors or writers who express a desire to 'break out' of their web 'ghetto' and have their work published in more 'legitimate' forms of media such as TV or newspapers. It seems that our ranks are full of aspiring (or perhaps failed?) comedy script writers, columnists and stand ups. It is as if publishing online is somehow second best. Personally, I don't think it is. To be frank, this is the cutting edge - here on the web we really do publish without fear or favour! That's the beauty of the web. It is the only part of modern media where individuals can reach a mass audience unfettered by the corporate concerns and constraints which limit the output of the conventional media. Our start-up costs are negligible, by and large we don't have to worry about ratings, censorship or the risk of offending sponsors. We are still pretty much self-regulated, and -uniquely - we're working in a medium where (via search engines, links, word of mouth, etc) the audience tends to find us. Trust me, this is where it is at! I wouldn't want to be plying my trade anywhere else.

I can see you still doubt me! Well look, we're truly underground publishing. I really admire the counter-culture magazines of the late 1960s and 1970s (you know, Oz, IT, and all that), they really pushed back the boundaries of what it was acceptable to discuss and provided a forum for alternative viewpoints. That is precisely what we should be striving for here on the web. Of course, we have a huge advantage over those publications - we can reach a far, far wider audience. Consequently, I've strenuously avoided The Sleaze becoming too 'mainstream' (my main concession is membership of Humorfeed) - I don't carry advertising, I don't seek 'validation' by trying to get picked up by the 'legitimate' media and I don't enter competitions and the like. The day I become 'mainstream' is the day I start worrying about the opinions of media commentators, sponsors and the like - that's the day I'll lose my edge! I set out to create an underground site with a cult following. I'm happy to say I've succeeded!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home