Wednesday, April 01, 2009

April Fools

So, did you guess which of today's news stories was actually a 'hilarious' April Fool's joke perpetrated by your newspaper/radio station/TV news programme? Nope, neither did I. My money was on the story about Alan Sherarer becoming Newcastle manager. After all he - or anyone else, for that matter - would surely be a fool to go there, I thought. But apparently that one's true. I've probably mentioned before how much I hate those April Fool's stories the news media feel obliged to run every 1st of April, mainly because they are so bloody lame. You'd think that with the kind of resources and (alleged) writing talent available to the mainstream news outlets, they'd come up with something better than the kind of shit they usually serve up. Obviously, I've never bothered with running special April Fool's Day stories in The Sleaze - after all, I'm publishing that sort of stuff all year round. Maybe I should publish something true every April 1st instead.

Of course, this day does have a special significance for The Sleaze, marking, as it does, the site's ninth anniversary. Yes folks, the site first went live on 1 April 2000. Frankly, I'm amazed we're still here, particularly after the sharp decline in traffic we suffered over the past nine months. However, the past couple of weeks have seen a modest recovery in visitor numbers, so perhaps things are looking up. Anyway, as ever on this date, I've posted an 'official' anniversary story (quite how it can be anything other than 'official', I don't know, unless there's an outbreak of guerrilla posting by unauthorised contributors on The Sleaze). This year it's Lost Tribe of London, a story which has been years in the making. Actually, it has existed as a title in search of a story for years, something which quite often happens at The Sleaze. Whilst it so far hasn't generated the same level of traffic as, say, Celebrity Death Watch, it's done pretty well for such a surreal subject without an obvious link to any current news item. So there you have it - nine years. Who would have thought it?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home