Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Inside the Conspiracy

OK, I know that a while back I said that I was going to stop obsessing about those 'Paul-is-Dead' fruitcakes over at 60IF but, they posted about one of my stories again. So they started it this time! At least, that's my rationale for returning to the subject. Anyway, the long and the short of it is that I'm apparently part of the conspiracy:

"After re-reading this, I think that the "I buried Paul" part of the article may have been written as an inside joke, there's a lot of interesting parallels there, & this kind of satirical humor was v.much enjoyed by The Beatles, Neil Innes & others in that circle.The 1st part of the article, which is a bit OTT, IMO, may be a diversary.The 'donuts' thing rings a bell, I can't think frm where tho'. "

Having re-read I Buried Paul myself, I'm not really sure how the first part of the story could be considered OTT. It's actually the most restrained part of the whole exercise, bearing in mind that the latter two thirds of the story involve the ghost of George Harrison being summoned and its revelation that the key to the whole mystery can be found in the lyrics of 'Obla di, obla da'. However, I am fascinated by the implication that I'm part of an 'inside joke' perpetrated by 'that circle'. Well, I can assure you all that I have never been a member of 'The Beatles', I'm much younger than Neil Innes (and have more hair), and I'm pretty damn sure that I was never Brian Epstein, Don Knotts or anybody else involved in this fantasy conspiracy. I've also never met Paul McCartney (either the real one or his supposed double), or anybody associated with him/them. (Although I do admit that I've got a couple of his early post-Beatles albums).

As for the business involving Jane Asher and the doughnut (although it turned out to be a chocolate eclair), well, I don't know where this fellow thinks he remembers it from as, like the rest of the story, it originates solely from my fevered imagination!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home