Tuesday, June 05, 2012

No Future in England's Dreaming

So, my sincerest wish didn't come true - all those people cheering in the Mall today, waiting for the Queen to appear on the balcony of Buck House, weren't shocked to instead be greeted by the appearance of the Sex Pistols hammering out 'God Save The Queen (The Fascist Regime)'. I just think that would have been a more fitting climax to the Jubilee than yet another fly-past and hours of sycophancy on the part of TV commentators. Apparently, Doctor David Starkey (the emphasis is his) was crying on ITV, overcome with emotion, as he commentated on today's events. Twat. Still, I daresay he was weeping with joy at the fact that the Queen doesn't behave like a black person. If ever we needed more riots and civil unrest, then it was over these past few days. I know, I know - I really should stop ranting about the Jubilee, but it seems to have stoked my revolutionary radicalism, just as it seemed to have subsided. You know what? I even shouted 'Fuck off!' at the TV when I turned it on to be greeted by the sight of David Cameron toadying on screen.

I've just found it so bloody depressing by the whole sub-text of these 'celebrations'. By celebrating hereditary wealth and power, we just seem to be endorsing the established order - which is exactly what Cameron and his cronies seem to want. Indeed, you could virtually hear the sigh of relief from them on Sunday, as people turned out in the rain to watch the Queen ignore them at that river 'pageant': "Thank god for that - the true social order is reasserted and everyone knows their place in it." But hey, we got a couple of bank holidays out of it, though, didn't we? Well, actually, we got one additional holiday - yesterday was simply a rescheduled late May bank holiday. Arguably, had it stayed in its proper place - the last Monday in May, we would have got that rarity - a blazing hot public holiday. As it was, thanks to the Jubilee, all we got on our day off was wind and rain. That said, at least the extended break has allowed me to get a few things done: I've managed to write a new story for The Sleaze and record and edit another contribution to the Overnightscape Central podcast. Actually, I might also re-edit this latter piece into a podcast for this blog. I'm not sure if it will be part of the 'Sleazecast' series or a one-off special. We'll see. Ah well, at least the bloody Jubilee is over now - we've just got the Olympics to endure!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home