Tuesday, May 29, 2012

God Bless Her Majesty (And Her Fascist Regime)

Well, are you all set to celebrate sixty tears of Her Majesty (and her fascist regime) on the throne? I haven't a clue as to whether there are any Jubilee street parties being organised on my road. If there are, nobody's told me. I think I'm generally regarded as a miserable bastard. Which I am, I freely admit. I slept through the last Royal Wedding and the Golden Jubilee passed me by. However, there's a part of me that does want, in some way, to be part of this event, and not just watch bits of it on TV. As I've undoubtedly mentioned before, my late father was an ardent republican, so we weren't allowed to celebrate the Silver Jubilee or the wedding of Charles and Diana. As he was still alive at the time of the Golden Jubilee, in deference to his views, I avoided the whole thing - and regretted it, I really felt left out, even more so than I had as a child when I hadn't been allowed to take part in the Silver Jubilee, (there was a street party in our road, but we went to the beach, instead). Which is why I'd like to do something vaguely Jubilee-related over this coming long weekend.

As I've also, I'm sure, mentioned before, I have a far more ambivalent attitude toward the monarchy than my father had. The fact is that, whilst they have wealth and privilege and indeed are an anachronism, they have no real power and therefore are, to me, irrelevant. Moreover, if we really must have a monarchy, then I can't deny that old Liz hasn't been a bad one. Certainly, she has represented the UK on the international stage with a dignity we often haven't deserved. That said, out of respect for my father's memory, I obviously can't just embrace the monarchy and the Jubilee uncritically. Which is why I insist on quoting the Sex Pistols every time I mention Her Majesty (and her fascist regime), by adding the 'and her fascist regime' suffix. Not that she has run a fascist regime, obviously. But it is a great lyric. But I still have the question of what I'm actually going to do to get into the Jubilee spirit - suggestions on a postcard (or in the comments). Bear in mind that, for me, the Jubilee starts early, as I'm taking Friday off of work, as well as next week's double bank holiday. So, if anyone I know personally is reading this and wants to meet up for a Jubilee-themed drink, I could be free on Friday, (you know who I'm talking to). In the meantime, I've got to get back to editing the latest Sleazecast.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home