Friday, June 01, 2012

Friday All by Myself

Well, as nobody took up my offer to do something Jubilee-related on my day off, (which just goes to show either that nobody I know personally reads this, or they do and don't give a toss), I went out and did something on my own. Not that it was actually Jubilee-related. I did think about driving to the coast, but really couldn't be arsed with driving that distance. So I went to my favourite hill fort instead. Driving back through several picturesque English villages, I was struck by the fact that virtually every building was festooned with Union Jacks and bunting in preparation for the Jubilee celebrations. This presented quite a contrast with Crapchester, where there's nary a piece of bunting to be seen. My own street is bereft of such decorations and, as I've mentioned before, there appear to no plans for any street party here. Once again, a stark contrast with the villages I drove through, which all had posters up, proudly proclaiming their forthcoming festivities in honour of Her Majesty (and her fascist regime). I'd like to think that this indicates that Crapchester is a hot bed of republicanism, but I suspect it just confirms the rest of the world's impression of the town: that the population just can't be arsed.

Still, the Jubilee long weekend is only just beginning, so there's still plenty of time for things to change: perhaps I'll wake up tomorrow morning to find the town in the grip of Jubilee-fever. Indeed, I've already been invited to an 'anti-jubilee' party, which could be exactly the sort of event which would satisfy my desire to be involved in the celebrations, whilst not compromising my principles. If I remember when it's on - I have a poor track record for remembering to attend things I've been invited to if they fall on a Saturday, the day of the week when I generally lose my bearings and sleep to all hours after going to bed in the early hours of the morning. Not that my nocturnal habits are down to spending the night clubbing or hanging out in illegal drinking dens. I'm too old for all that shit. No, it is just that Friday night into Saturday morning is generally when I catch up with all the stuff I've recorded off of the TV down the week. Whilst drinking a few beers. Which is what I'm aiming to do now, so I'm wrapping this post up without further ado.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home