Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Limping Along

Well, not only has my main laptop gone tits up, but the old one I was using as back up followed suit shortly after I used it to make the previous post. Right now, I'm back to using the linux partition on my decade old steam driven PC. It's slow, it's cumbersome, it's bloody frustrating, but at least I'm online! I'm currently waiting to hear if anything can be salvaged from the laptop. It doesn't look good. I'm pretty much resigned to having lost a lot of data, including the part-written next story for The Sleaze. Luckily, I have quite a bit of the 'lost' data scattered across other devices and the web, including a very rough draught of the story. So all is not lost. It just means more delays and attempting to rewrite stuff from memory. With luck, I'll know the worst about the laptop tomorrow. I'm probably going to have to buy a replacement and start again.

With regard to The Sleaze, traffic is still in freefall thanks to Google. Unable, as I am, to update the site until I'm back online with a decent computer, I have no option but sit by and watch years of hard work in terms of traffic building go down the toilet. It's all very frustrating. I'm actually pretty much resigned to having to start from scratch with The Sleaze again, if I'm to have any chance of recovering any traffic. But, as I said before, Until the laptop issue is sorted, I'm dead in the water. I feel like I'm in one of those episodes of Star Trek where the warp engines have failed and they're forced to crawl along on impulse power. "Planets which had been only days away, were now months away", as Kirk lamented.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home