Monday, August 31, 2009

Bank Holiday


Hooray, hooray! It's a bank holiday! I've come to love bank holidays. When I was a child I hated them - literally everything closed down on a bank holiday in those days. Consequently, unless you wanted to sit in traffic jams all the way to the coast and back, there were incredibly boring. Nowadays, as a working adult, I love the fact that they give me a day off work. Best of all, as most people are also off work, they provide a kind of communal experience.

So, what did I do this bank holiday? Whilst such high profile events as the Reading and Leeds music festivals, and the Notting Hill carnival were on, none of them were really my thing. Besides, I'd had another one of those insane weekends where i kept sitting up until four in the morning watching creaky old films on DVD and drinking beer. Consequently, by Sunday night I was exhausted. So, I decided to recharge my batteries today by enjoying the last of the August sun and going for a walk in the country. I contrived to get lost for a while, and spent what seemed like hours tramping across fields until I found the footpath again. Nevertheless, it was a very peaceful, albeit not very exciting, way to spend a bank holiday afternoon. I even took a few pictures, one of which I include here. It pretty sums up what I love about late August - blue skies and the harvest done. The fact that Autumn is just around the corner makes it all the more poignant. It'll be Christmas soon...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home