Monday, July 20, 2009

As Not Featured on 'NewsNow'

Let's start the week with a bit of a moan. For those of you who pay attention to such things, you may have noticed that the links to NewsNow have vanished from The Sleaze. I've finally lost patience with this aggregator 'service' and its continued attempts to censor material. I've now had two stories in a row blocked by them so, as far I'm concerned, the site is no longer 'featured on NewsNow'. The last time I had a number of stories blocked, their 'explanation' was that they had a new 'policy' of not running stories which included 'swearing' in their content (apparently parents had been complaining that their little darlings were being exposed o filth - bullshit!). Unfortunately, the only supposed 'swearing' they could point to was the word 'cock' and the phrase 'whacked off' (presumably they don't allow stories about poultry or cricket). Now, I don't know about you, but what I classify as swear words are things like 'fuck', which I try to avoid using in stories over at The Sleaze in order to avoid being blocked by corporate firewalls.

Interestingly, as I pointed out to NewsNow, they were allowing another satire site to post stories including not just 'cock' and variations, but also 'fuck', 'wank', 'shit', 'bollocks' and 'prick', amongst others. Their response was to claim that some contributing sites only had the titles they submitted vetted, not the whole text! Quite why some contributors were placed in such a privileged position wasn't explained. Unfortunately for NewsNow, the offending site regularly ran headlines including the word 'fuck', but these were happily carried by the aggregator! Although NewsNow promised to start cracking down on the site in question, it has continued to be allowed to run stories including 'offensive' language. In the face of such hypocrisy, and the fact that neither of the two stories I've recently had blocked included anything worse than 'arse', I've decided to sever all ties with NewsNow and to boycott their site. I would urge you to do the same. The fact is that they simply don't generate sufficient traffic for me to waste time engaging in further discourse with them over this issue. So, as far as I'm concerned, they can fuck off.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home