Sunday, July 13, 2014

World Cup Musings

So, here I am, watching the World Cup Final with a bottle of Bud in my hand, (I'm not actually a fan of Budweiser, but they are the official beer of the World Cup and they were selling the limited edition aluminium bottles off cheap in Sainsbury's).  Not that I'm actually supporting either side - I've cursed every side I've given my support to after England went out: USA, Belgium and the Netherlands all fell.   I had high hopes for the Netherlands.  I thought they could go all the way. I was hoping to be able to go on about how 'plucky little Netherlands' were all that stood between Germany and the World Cup, but that this time the Germans didn't have their panzers and Luftwaffe to enable them to roll over the Dutch, so all they needed was their conviction that they could win.  But it wasn't to be.  Instead it is only Argentina who stand between Germany and the World cup.  It's one of those situations where you just wish that both sides could lose.  No disrespect to either Germany or Argentina, but when it comes to football, they are both countries which seem to swagger around with a sense of entitlement when it comes to major tournaments, regardless of how well or poorly they are playing.

That sense of entitlement was the reason I wasn't too keen on Brazil this time around either - they weren't terribly impressive, yet still seemed to believe they had a right to be in the final simply because they were hosting it.  But that changed as I watched them get hammered 7-1 by the Germans.  I suddenly found myself shouting anti-German abuse at the TV.  I think it was the faces of the Brazil fans in the crowd that did it for me: they were so obviously traumatised by the assault on their footballing prowess, there were children crying.  So, I started shouting 'Are you happy now, you fucking bullies?  See, you've reduced them to tears - two or three would have been enough, but oh no, you had to keep on putting them in!  Bloody bullying bastards!'  I really got quite angry.  Which disturbed me greatly.  Clearly, international football brings out the worst in me.  That said, the whole Brazil business reminded me of how much I hate o see anyone humiliated, (and they were humiliated, not just the players and coaching staff, but Brazilians generally, by the defeat).  I've been on the receiving end of such bullying treatment myself too many times for it not to hurt to it happen to others.  Even when it is someone who once humiliated or bullied me getting the same treatment themselves, I take no pleasure in it.  Which is why, if Germany get hammered by Argentina tonight, I won't be rejoicing.  Ah well, back to the match...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home