Friday, July 04, 2014

Go USA!

First off, a heartfelt apology to the USA on today, their Independence Day, commemorating that time they defeated an alien invasion - my decision to support the US football team at the World Cup following England's exit obviously cursed them. Still, at least they got through to the last sixteen, which was more than England achieved.  The question now is who I should burden with my support next?  Belgium (lots of current Spurs players)? The Netherlands (William of Orange was possibly my favourite English King and let's not forget Martin Jol's time in charge of Spurs)?  On present form, whoever the unlucky recipient of my support is, their tournament could be over.  But, I have to admit, fun though it was following the USA for a few matches, it just isn't the same when it's not your national team.  I mean, I'm not one of those super-patriots who hang England flags from their houses and contemplates suicide when the team loses, but I really didn't feel as connected, for want of a better word, with the USA.  I suppose a lot of it has to do with the fact that a lot of the players' names are unfamiliar - we don't know their back stories, don't have as much invested in their struggles against injury and so on. 

Having said all that, I have no doubt that if I took more of an interest in Major League Soccer, maybe followed a team there, took more notice of the US players plying their trade in Europe, particularly the UK, then I'd probably feel a greater sense of identification with the US, (or any other country's national football team, for that matter).  Maybe that's what I should do for the next four years, so that when England fail to qualify for Russia 2018, I'll still have some motivation for watching the tournament on TV.  Although, knowing my luck, the USA would probably also fail to qualify.  In which case I'll just have to ignore it all.  It will probably be rubbish anyway - it's in Russia, for God's sake.  No disrespect to Russia (they might threaten to invade Crapchester if I offend them), but it can hardly compete with Brazil in terms of climate, spectacle or sporting passion.  (Although it could probably go head-to-head with Brazil for crime levels, poverty and lack of health and safety).  But I've digressed enough, I've got to go and decide who to blight next with my support...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home