Tuesday, March 19, 2013

The Idiocy of Strangers

I can see that this is going to be one of those weeks when I can't settle to post anything substantive here, settling instead for lightweight trivia and meanderings.  Today, for instance, I'm going to ponder on something that came up in a recent pub conversation.  Have you ever noticed how, here in the UK, complete strangers seem to have a burning desire to give you their unsolicited opinions?  For all I know, this phenomena might not be unique to the UK, perhaps it is universal.  However, I can only speak for these septic isles.  Getting back to the point, you must have encountered this phenomena, when, as you are walking down the street, say, someone you've never seen before feels moved to give you their opinion on, for instance, your attire, shouting 'Nice tie, mate. Eh?'  Or it could be your shirt, hat, haircut even, that they just have to comment on.  I've had them telling me how full my briefcase is - 'Bulging a bit, eh, mate!' -  or shouting 'What ho, Biggles' because I'm wearing a leather jacket lined with fake sheep skin, (funnily enough, such clowns aren't so smart arsed during the depths of winter when they are shivering and I'm nice and warm in my jacket).

Obviously, the question is: why?  Why on earth do these individuals think that you are remotely interested in their opinions?  Speaking personally, I can honestly say that I have never been walking down the street, seen a complete stranger, and decided that I needed to shout some observation at them.  I'm pretty sure most other normal people feel the same way.  Are they mentally disturbed?  Or do they feel so inadequate that they think that shouting at strangers in the street is the only way they can get themselves heard? I suppose that this behaviour isn't a million miles removed from the oafs who feel moved to shout 'compliments' at women they don't know on the street.  Although I find this latter activity far more sinister, it always seems just a few steps away from full blown sexual harassment.  That said, making loud unsolicited comments on people's appearance can also be sinister - there's no doubt that it can include a degree of intimidation, as they are trying to call everyone within earshot's attention to you, and clearly implying some form of ridicule regarding some aspect of your appearance.  But what is the best response to these idiots?  Probably ignoring them is the safest course although, when I was younger and stupider I did challenge a few of them.  Responding with 'Do I know you?  No? Then what makes you think I'm interested in your opinion?  If, for some reason, I ever want it, I'll ask for it.  Until then, shut the fuck up.' can sometimes stop them in their tracks.  I would recommend a rapid exit after delivering such a retort though, before they have time to realise what's happened.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home