Monday, March 04, 2013

Up The Arse?

Well, I'm emotionally exhausted after all the drama of yesterday's North London derby.  Make no mistake this was the North London derby, held at White Hart Lane, not be confused with the lesser reverse fixture held at the Enema, or whatever the Gooners call their stadium these days.  Anyway, the result went the right way with three points for the Spurs, putting us back into third place ahead of Cheatski.  Much as I hate the Arse, we now have a situation where I could envisage myself actually cheering them on in their next Champions League match, the second leg of their tie against Bayern Munich.  Now, before you all think that I've gone completely insane, let me explain myself.  Cast your minds back to the end of last season when we finished fourth and, by all rights, should have claimed the last Champions League qualifying place.  However, seventh placed Cheatski, (not even qualifying for the Europa League in that position, they'd been so poor all season), somehow managed to win the Champions League final, (they only had three shots on goal all match and they were all during the penalty shoot-out), and were unjustly awarded the fourth qualifying place so as to be able to defend their title, (which they've unsurprisingly failed to do), leaving us in the Europa League.

Well, if the Premier League finishes with the top four as they are now, Spurs will safely qualify for the Champions League in third, leaving Cheatski in fourth.  Now, if Arsenal (who are still just about in the competition), were to somehow win the Champions League, then Cheatski would be denied the place they thought they'd earned and would be cast into the outer darkness that is the Europa League.  A fitting fate, I think you'd agree.  But to achieve it, infuriatingly, we'd have to accept the Arse becoming Champions of Europe.  Could any Spurs supporter bring themselves to cheer on the old enemy in a Champions League final if it meant screwing Cheatski in the process?  Reluctantly, I have to say that I've come to hate Cheatski so much that I would.  Because, whatever one might say about the Gooners, they aren't Cheatski.  Don't get me wrong, I still detest the Arse, but at least they aren't racists.  Oh, and they don't go around tapping up our players and staff, either, (not since the 1970s, anyway - I don't count Sol Campbell as not only do I refuse to acknowledge his existence after his betrayal, but at least they waited until he was out of contract).  Luckily, though, it's a dilemma I'm unlikely to have to face, as Arsenal will need a miracle to turn around the first leg result against Bayern, let alone reach the final.  But it's a fascinating scenario, nonetheless.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home