Friday, May 21, 2010

Making a Spectacle of Myself

I finally got my very expensive new glasses from the opticians yesterday. This is the first time I've had entirely new glasses in five or six years, so it's pretty exciting for me. I've finally had to concede to the fact that the years are taking their toll on me, and that in addition to needing glasses for distance work, I also need reading glasses. In order to minimize the numbers of pairs of glasses I have to remember to carry with me, I was persuaded to try varifocal lenses, which is why they were so bloody expensive. I must say that they are taking some time for me to get used to after years of wearing single focus lenses. It's all too easy to forget the existence of the segments intended for reading and find everything going blurry at the edge of my vision.

My new prescription sunglasses (which are single focus for driving), are fascinating me for entirely different reasons. In the past, I've always had a green tint on my sunglasses. However, this time around, the frames I wanted were only available with a brown tint. On putting them on yesterday, I found that, when the sun is out, the tint on the lenses gives everything a warm golden aura. It really is quite amazing - I walk around in a wonderful glowing world every time I put them on. Everything seems somehow heightened. The world seems surreal, yet more friendly and welcoming. It's like being on some kind of permanent high. It's better than drugs. But probably more expensive.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home