Wednesday, October 28, 2009

You've Not Got Mail

My apologies for not bringing you yesterday's planned post. Or any post for that matter. This was due to circumstances beyond my control. Take my advice, no matter how crappy you think your broadband provider is, don't try switching to another one. It really is far too much hassle. This new provider uses a dedicated modem/router and, despite promising that it would be dispatched days before my switchover date, they didn't send it out until the day before the activation date they'd given me. All well and good, except that the carrier they used didn't deliver it. Oh, they claimed that their driver had made two visits, got nobody in so left a card. Except that they didn't. No cards and I was actually in at one of the times they'd claimed to have called. To make things worse, my old ISP cut me off yesterday evening, leaving me with no internet connection and no way to connect once the new ISP came on line.

Consequently, I've already spent a large part of the day on the phone trying to get the router delivered. As you can tell, I finally succeeded. To be fair, the new router connected very quickly and required next to no set up, not even for the wireless network. What really got me about this whole fiasco was the fact that the carrier which so spectacularly failed to deliver the router on time is one of the private mail firms very keen to muscle in on the Post Office's monopoly. Indeed, they are doing their best to take full advantage of the current mail dispute to drum up business. Frankly, if this is the kind of service they provide, then God help us all! Whilst I've had my issues with the Post Office and their sometimes erratic deliveries to me, at least with them I know that I'll receive my mail more or less on time. Moreover, if I'm not in to receive a parcel, they do leave a card and I know that I can collect it within twenty four hours from the local sorting office, not face the prospect of travelling thirty odd miles to the nearest depot (as with the mail operator in question). A terrible warning for all those who believe that the private sector does it 'better'. Not in this case!

Anyway, my late lunch break is drawing to a close. Normal posting will be resumed this evening!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home