Monday, October 20, 2008

Still Not a Football Blog...

I've been very restrained of late regarding the Tottenham situation. I didn't rush to post a despairing rant after yesterday's disaster at Stoke. I didn't panic after two of our players get sent off and another is stretchered off. No, I said to myself, now is the time to stay calm. Well, that feeling lasted until this morning, when I read that Juande Ramos was 'concerned' at Spurs' current plight. He's concerned? We're bottom of the league, with only two points, incapable of scoring a goal ourselves and heading for relegation, and he's concerned? For fuck's sake man, you're the bloody manager! You should be a bit more than just concerned! We are generally only 'concerned' over things which aren't yet a crisis, or even a problem, but might just cause a few difficulties at some point in the distant future. The situation at Spurs is already a crisis! Now is not the time to be concerned - now is the time to be bloody panicking!

This understatement of the situation by the manager just seems to sum up the air of complacency surrounding the upper echelons at the club. It's as if they don't really think we'll be relegated. Trust me we can - and at this rate will be. It's probably this attitude which alarms me most. Now is the time for urgent action. Leaving it until the next transfer window in January will simply seal our fate and condemn us to the Championship. As I've said before, the only thing we can easily change right now is the coach and his staff. But the problem is, who could we get to replace the 'master tactician' Ramos? Plenty of names have been bandied about - Rijkaard, Venables, Roy Keane, even 'Big Sam' Allardyce. The trouble is that none of these will agree to work with a 'Sporting Director' who has control over transfer activity. Neither will any other manager of any standing. So, unless Daniel Levy also sacks Comolli, I really don't see things improving, even if we do ditch Ramos. Sadly, I don't see him sacking Comolli - like Ramos, he's one of Levy's appointments, another man who was meant to usher in a brave new era at Spurs. Dropping him would be an even bigger admission of failure than sacking Ramos. So I just don't see it happening. Panic my friends! Panic!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home