Monday, October 27, 2008

Definitely Not a Football Blog...

So maybe Spurs Chairman Daniel Levy does read this blog. Even though it most definitely isn't a football blog. Late on Saturday night he finally did what I (and thousands of other Spurs fans) have been imploring him to do for weeks now and sacked the entire first team coaching staff, including Juande Ramos, and the Sporting Director, Damien Comolli. To replace the four he sacked, he brought in just one man - Harry Redknapp. We needed a miracle and we got 'Arry. Close enough for me! The impact was instantaneous - we recorded our first Premiership win of the season! Better late than never. Let's just hope that it isn't too late and that we can salvage something from this season. Maybe we can avoid relegation now. Even if we don't, we've at least got a manager who could bring us straight back up to the Premiership. I'm sleeping safer in my bed now, content in the knowledge that we have a coach who is competent and, most importantly, speaks English.

Levy is clearly trying to come out of this smelling of roses - being seen as decisive in the face of a crisis, admitting he was wrong in his previous policy and issuing an apologetic open letter to fans. Now, whilst I'm obviously glad that Levy finally found some balls and not only did what needed to be done with the sackings, but also swiftly secured the services of one of the country's best managers, but it still needs to be asked why it took him so long. It was obvious to everyone after the first couple of matches this season that something was badly wrong. It wasn't just the bizarre team selections, the inexplicable substitutions and constant team rotations, Ramos' lack of activity on the touchline when things were going wrong should have rung alarm bells. A manager apparently without passion is hardly going to inspire the players. And inspiration is a big part of football management. Redknapp, by contrast, even though he officially didn't take over until today, was yesterday on the team bus, and then in the dug out - shouting instructions and clearly delighted when things were going well. That's what we need!

However, for me the agony isn't over - my regular pub is run by a rabid Pompey supporter and I'll shortly have to run the gauntlet of him and his mates when I go for a pint. They aren't going to be happy that we nicked their manager. I suppose I should also apologise to my neighbours - when I heard the news of the sackings just before midnight on Saturday, my immediate reaction was to shout "Fuck the fucking Pope" at the top of my voice. I hope they aren't Catholics. Anyway, with the Spurs crisis over (for now), I promise to stop posting about football (until I start calling for 'Arry to be sacked, of course).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home