Monday, August 25, 2008

Under Siege

I feel like I'm under siege again. It happens periodically - the onslaught of the telemarketers. You know how it is; every time you sit down and start to relax, the phone rings. When you answer it, it turns out to be some numpty trying to sell you replacement windows, dodgy investments, fitted kitchens or financial services. None of which, of course, you are remotely interested in. There was a time that I tried to be polite to these pests, but I quickly found that didn't work - they just took it as a sign of weakness and tried even harder for the sale. So, rather than spend my time shouting abuse down the phone at complete strangers, I simply use my answer phone to screen all incoming calls. Friends and family know that if they actually say something after the tone, I'll pick up if I'm within earshot. Whilst this saves me the trouble of dealing with the telemarketers, I do resent the inconvenience of it all. Moreover, it doesn't stop the bloody phone from ringing every fie minutes.

Right now, I'm being besieged by my bloody bank. I know it's them because they actually had the gall to write to me, telling me they'd been trying to contact me to try and sell me a mortgage product! Quite apart from the fact that I'm perfectly happy with my existing mortgage, I wouldn't change to the one they're offering on principle. Not just the principle that I wouldn't want to reward them for making a nuisance of themselves, but also because it is an 'air miles' mortgage. I take it to mean that they encourage you to fly abroad in order to off-set interest, or something. Now, quite apart from the fact that, with global warming and rocketing fuel prices, it is surely highly irresponsible to be encouraging people to fly, the fact is that I don't like flying, and I don't particularly like overseas travel. Indeed, I've even let my passport lapse in order to do my bit in the fight against global warming. But this doesn't stop the bastards. You'd think that my failure to reply to their letter would tell the bank that I'm not interested. But no, they keep on calling, (even though they don't leave a message, caller ID shows their number). Even today, a bloody Bank Holiday! For God's sake, is nothing sacred? Twice today - once just after I got up, and again just as I came in this evening. I feel like I'm being watched. Why can't you just leave me alone?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home