Friday, December 27, 2019

Easing to the End of the Year

We have now entered one of my favourite times of the year: those strange days between Christmas and New Year.  Normal time seems suspended.  Most people are still off of work and still celebrating the festive season, but, unlike Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year, there is no set format for the celebrations.  Everything is improvised - we sail aimlessly through lazy days of doing nothing much at all.  Today, for instance, aside from a shopping foray, I basically did bugger all: a lot of lying in bed, a lot of watching TV programmes I now have no memory of - all the perfect antidote to the drudgery of work and its meaningless routines.  I always look forward to this annual limbo - it always seems the best way to see out the old year: after month after month of events piling on top of each other, a few days of utter inaction.  It is especially welcome this year, a tumultuous twelve months, culminating in that bloody election, have left me exhausted.  It's time for some rest, recuperation and reflection before returning to the fray.

Of course, the flip side to all this inactivity is that it leaves me with bugger all to post about here.  Not that there's anything new in that.  i have to say that, creatively, I've found the past year very difficult.  How I've managed to keep any kind of schedule over at The Sleaze is beyond me.  Inspiration has been sadly lacking.  I've somehow been able to come up with stories at the last minute from the sketchiest of ideas.  Other times, I've managed to use posts from this blog as the unlikeliest of source material for stories.  It really has been a struggle.  You'd think, though, with everything that has gone on in the world over the last twelve months, coming up with satirical stories about it all would be easy.  The trouble is, though, that much of what is now happening seems beyond satire.  I mean, Boris Johnson, a morally degenerate liar and proven political incompetent with no moral compass, is Prime Minister.  Elected with a majority in parliament.  You just can't satirise this shit.  Rather than making me laugh, it just makes me despair for the future of the human race.  And you know what's really bad?  That nobody seems to care.  The world is going to Hell and the majority don't seem to give a shit.  On that optimistic note, I'm going back to doing nothing.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home