Monday, December 23, 2019

Seasonal Dishonour

I see there's a lot of speculation that Nigel Farage, the ball sack, might get a knighthood in the New Year's Honours list.  While we shouldn't be surprised, as the donkey faced git gave the Tories a helping hand into Downing Street by withdrawing his Brexit Party candidates from seats with sitting Tory MPs in the general election, if it does happen, it will mark another devaluation of the already largely discredited honours system.  It makes me glad that I turned down that OBE a few years back.  Ha!  That's the one good thing about the honours system - if someone turns one down, it is never officially confirmed or denied that they were ever offered one in the first place.  So, anyone can claim to have rejected an honour without fear of contradiction.  (There are, apparently, some notable public figures who did turn down honours, including Albert Finney and Honor Blackman - the latter because she is a republican).  So, was I ever offered an OBE for services to British sleaze?  Let's face it, people have been awarded far higher honours for far less: usually dubious services to political parties.  I'll let you decide.

But, to paraphrase Vincent Price in Cry of the Banshee: 'Let us banish thoughts of braying Brexit bastards'.  We are, after all, on the verge of Christmas - a time of joy and goodwill to all men (except those Tory bastards).  I finally finished work today, (I was only in to catch up with my paperwork), so I'm now free to spend the festive period sitting on my sofa watching films.  (Pure bliss as far as I;m concerned).  That said, right now I'm working on sequencing the various segments of a new podcast I want to get posted over at the Overnightscape Underground before Christmas.  Once that's done, there is the annual film of the 'Lights of Crapchester' to be put together.  You know, I really don't know why I keep producing those films - it started as a one off joke, but seems to have become a tradition.  I cannot deny that, this year, I have put minimal effort into the filming.  There seemed to be fewer external lights on display than usual this year.  Perhaps it is a sign of times - either austerity biting or good taste returning.  Certainly, my neighbours have disappointed - none of them have indulged in any outlandish displays to amuse me.  Anyway, I'm being distracted right now by Talking Pictures TV:  they are showing a 1970 episode of Special Branch featuring the lovely Yutte Stensgaard from Lust for a Vampire, (she's playing 'Miss Zagreb', a beauty pageant contestant (or maybe a spy) - Danish and Croatian accents are obviously similar).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home