Friday, January 01, 2016

Another Year

So, here we are, 2016 at last.  Although I must say that, so far, it hasn't felt any different to 2015.  I saw the New Year in holding a pint and propping up the bar of my local - the first time that I've dome that in years.  In fact, this Christmas was the first in years that I spent both Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve in the pub.  OK, I know that going out to my local doesn't compare to spending the festive season in, say, Monte Carlo, but it made a change.  I have to say that this has probably been the best festive season I've had in quite a few years.  Not least because I didn't have a cold or some other ailment over the period.  But, sadly, just as I was getting used to those long lazy Winter afternoons on the sofa, watching old movies and drinking tea, the season is drawing to a close and I'm faced with the prospect of returning to work on Monday.  Not something that I'm looking forward to, but I'm at least inching ever closer to getting my mortgage paid off, which will open new possibilities for me with regard to work.

But until then, I'll just have to keep slogging away, telling myself that I only have to put up with this shit until April 2017, then, if I want to, I'll be in a position to stick two fingers up to the bastards.  But one thing I won't be doing this January is joining in with this non-drinking for a month nonsense.  My alcohol consumption falls well within medical guidelines and I'm damned if I'm going to deprive myself of one of the few pleasures I still have to look forward to these days.  I really do get fed up with this government-inspired 'nannying', especially when it is coming from a government  that is busy dismantling what it disparages as the welfare 'nanny state'.  All of which brings us, predictably, to the issue of New Year resolutions. Equally predictably, my only resolution is, once again, not to make any bloody silly resolutions I have no hope of keeping just because we've achieved some arbitrary measure of time.  As ever, 'm of the opinion that if you are going to do something, just do it - don't wait for some anniversary or other to roll around. 

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home