Thursday, February 07, 2013

Stuck in the Mud

So much for all my bravado about February being a month of progress last time.  I spent a large part of yesterday quite literally stuck in the mud.  Well, not me personally, but my car found itself immobilised by a saturated grass verge.  Nothing would budge it - I couldn't move it either backwards or forwards.  As it was on (or rather off) a track off of the actual road, the AA refused to help me on the grounds that it wasn't 'roadside'.  Bearing in mind the amount of money I pay them in annual subscriptions, I'd really expected a bit better than semantic arguments from them.  Anyway, the car was eventually towed out by a friend's 4x4.  All in all, just the sort of thing you want on a freezing cold February day.  One could argue that the whole sorry incident is somehow symbolic of my life at the moment - lots of sound and fury as I rev the engine and engage the gears, but absolutely no resultant action.  Other than lots of dirt flying around.

I have plenty of good intentions of actually doing things to get out of that metaphorical mud - as witnessed by the previous post - but it is the actually doing bit which is the problem.  The problem - in part - is that I find it very difficult to get motivated at this time of year.  With winter lingering and the ever-present threat of more sleet and snow, all I want to do is hibernate.  Indeed, in an ideal world I'd go to bed early in December and sleep until the beginning of March.  As it is, I'm forced to remain awake and spend most of those waking hours trying to stay warm.  The trouble with spending a lot of time working away from the office, out on the streets (or country lanes, even) at this time of year, is that I'm exposed to the elements - if it isn't torrential rain it's freezing cold gales or snow.  And there just seems to be no respite.  I keep telling myself that things have to change, that I have to take some decisive action to change my work situation.  But I just don't have the energy to do anything.  Maybe next month...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home