Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Speechless

So, whilst the symptoms of last week's 'flu have gone, my voice still hasn't returned to normal. Which is becoming increasingly irritating. Although it is undoubtedly better than the croak which was all I could manage this time last week, it still isn't my voice. It is too deep, too raspy and keeps cracking. Nothing I say sounds right any more. Worse still, people hear my voice and assume I must still have a sore throat (I don't) and that I've still got 'flu, or, at the very least a cold. Neither of which is true. I'm tired of having to explain these facts. I'm tired of having to explain and apologise for the state of my voice. But, most of all, I hate this disorientating sensation of hearing my words being spoken by a voice I don't recognise.

Apart from the fact that the state of my voice apparently means that I no longer speak English, (this is the only conclusion I can draw from the fact that I seem to have to keep repeating myself over and over again at work before even the simplest thing gets through to some people), it also means that I'm in no position to record any podcasts, either my own, or contributions to other people's. Consequently, I've been trying all manner of methods for recovering my voice. Unfortunately, none of them bloody work. Lots of people seem to think that gargling with salt water helps. Well, it makes you thirsty. But it doesn't seem to have done anything for my voice. I might try doses of honey tomorrow, (although I have to be careful, as too much honey can sometimes trigger an allergic reaction which leaves my face swollen). If that doesn't work, God knows what I'm going to do.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home