Friday, May 04, 2012

Too Hot to Handle?

I can confidentally predict that we'll soon be seeing several top Hollywood stars arrested for their involvement in bizarre Satanic rituals, involving wild sex and human sacrifice.  I mean, why else would the LA County Sheriff's Department have been looking at The Sleaze the other day, most specifically the story Hollywood Satanists?  Clearly, they were trying to do some in-depth research as they built their case against these celebrity miscreants.  That said, as everyone I mentioned in the story is now dead, they might have some trouble making arrests on the basis of the information they gleaned from it.  Unless they dig up Sammy Davis Jr, that is.  Of course, it was undoubtedly just a bored office worker at the Sheriff's Department killing a few minutes of a dull work day visiting the page, but I do love it when I get a visit like that - it makes such a change from all the regular ISPs I see in the search results: Virgin Media, BT and the like.  Actually, I've had a few out of the ordinary visitor origins of late.  Around the same time as the LASD's visit I also had a visit originating with the BBC in London.  This isn't the first time I've had such a visit - some variation on the search term 'UK political satir' always brings them to The Sleaze.  I've not yet discerned for sure whether they represent bored office workers or actual researchers.  That said, the fact that I've never been invited to either write satire for the BBC or had the site featured on a BBC programme makes me think they are probably from the former.

Of course, that doesn't rule out the possibility of the BBC visits being 'official' - it would be no surprise to me if they recoiled from the site, appalled.  I'm afraid the The Sleaze is just too hot for mainstream media like the BBC to handle!  The BBC's idea of radical satire, in particular, is very different to mine. Actually, their entire concept of humour, these days, seems to be very different to mine.  Particularly on Radio 4 these days.  I had the misfortune to hear the first ten minutes or so of a long-running Radio 4 comedy the other day.  Just the voices of the actors it featured made my heart sink - there's a particular 'sound' they seem to favour for radio performers in both comedies and dramas which renders the characters they play bland and two-dimensional.  Just like the writing.  Even a few minutes of this particular episode clearly telegraphed to me the script's lack of ambition - it was quite obvious that it was going to be content to follow all the tired sitcom conventions, reinforcing the audience's preconceived prejudices and eschewing radicalism in favour of safety and whimsy.  It's hard to believe this was the best that the same station that once broadcast The Goon Show (when it was the BBC Home Service, that is), could come up with.  The problem is that Radio 4 seems to rely upon the same limited group of writers (often stand up comedians) to write their comedies, which are all aimed firmly at the station's staid, middle England, middle aged, middle brow audience.  Innovation is not required, let alone encouraged.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home