Thursday, May 03, 2012

Easily Amused

I'm easily amused.  The other day in the supermarket I looked down an aisle to see a sign saying 'Frozen Breasts' - I felt like shouting "Well don't stand so close to the freezer cabinets!" at the female shoppers standing near it.  (Obviously, it was referring to frozen chicken breasts).  It's not often that I get given a feed line like that - especially by a supermarket.  Many years ago, not one, but twice, colleagues in the office I was working in at the time responded to something I'd said by saying "You jest", to which I was able to respond (twice) with the old Spike Milligan line "I jest what?"  I was laughing so much I had to hold my sides.  Like I said, I'm easily amused.  Then there was that time, when working in the same office, that I saw a security door emblazoned with the words 'This door is alarmed'.  Of course, I couldn't resist appending it with my own notice: 'Yes, I was pretty surprised myself!'  Ah, happy days!

 But it isn't just unexpectedly receiving classic feed lines that delights and amuses me - it's also those surreal moments that come from left-field, with absolutely no warning.  Like yesterday, when a colleague poked a fox with a stick.  Actually, to be fair to her, it was a long-handled feather duster rather than a stick.  She claimed that it was a man from the RSPCA who told her to poke the fox with a long stick, but she couldn't find one, so used the feather duster instead.  I'm still not entirely clear what it was all about, but apparently it had something to do with the fact that the fox (which was loitering around the back of the office) had been seen limping by the security guard, who was worried it might be injured.  So my colleague called the RSPCA who advised that she should poke the animal with a long stick - if it was sick or injured it wouldn't move far, but if it was healthy it would run.  Anyway, as it was last seen sitting on the wall behind the building, facing off against a local cat, it was assumed it was OK.  All very strange, but it amused me greatly.  It remains to be seen whether my colleague is going to make a habit of harassing local wildlife.  Perhaps she'll bait a badger next...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home