Monday, February 20, 2012

Not Expecting the Unexpected (Even When It's Half Expected)

Being off work is supposed to be less stressful than being at work. In theory. In practice, today, the first day of a week off work, has been far more hectic than I would have liked. I had it all planned out - the continued deep-cleaning of my kitchen, (a response to the mouse invasion I mentioned last week), followed by a bit of shopping, watching Australian soaps and going to the pub. But, as always, the unexpected happened. Well, to be honest, it was half-expected, but I was banking on putting it off for a few more weeks. I'm talking about my TV going kaput. Well, not quite kaput, but when I switched it on when I got back from shopping at half past five, everything had a green tinge (it had been perfectly OK when I'd watched Doctors at lunchtime, but the TV is seven years old and a couple of weeks ago it played up when I switched it on).

At first, I thought I could live with this until tomorrow, but after trying to watch Home and Away, and finding myself repulsed by the sight of all those bronzed bathing beauties looking bilious, I decided that I had to do something. Not being a TV fetishist, (they're all the same to me - they just sit in the corner while I watch them, and they watch me, I suspect), I did a quick search of the Argos web site, found my local Argos Extra store was open until eight and had a TV at a price I was prepared to pay in stock. Then more complications set in - the car's fuel tank was nearly empty, so I had to make a diversion to put some petrol in it, just as I was leaving the house, someone rang, the obstacles just multiplied. However, I finally got there and bought my new TV. When I got home, I switched on the old one, and found that the picture was nearly back to normal. Just a bit green around the edges. Nevertheless, it is clear that the tube is on the way out and, as they don't make TVs with tubes any more, it will have to be replaced. But not tonight. I'll leave installing the new TV until tomorrow, when I feel less harassed.

Getting back to the original point, the reason I'm off work this week is, in part, because its my birthday tomorrow and, whilst it isn't a big deal to me, I'd just rather not be dealing with the usual work crap. As I've got various other things to do this week - dental appointments, the car being serviced etc - I decided to take the whole week off. Getting back to the birthday, I can't say I've ever been big on celebrating them. Last year was low key and this year is likely to be even lower key. I don't see the point in organising anything special - I'm likely to see most of the people I'd end up inviting anyway. The reality is that the people I'd really like to celebrate with just aren't around, so I just don't see the point. All of which sounds terribly downbeat, but trust me it isn't! I intend spending tomorrow enjoying my new TV, drinking beer, eating chocolate and watching some favourite films on DVD. Which sounds good to me!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home