Thursday, May 19, 2011

Moving Out, Moving On

Today I moved out of the office I've occupied for the past six or seven years. For several years before that, I was in a similar office on the floor below. For the foreseeable future, I won't have an office. I won't even have a desk. No, I haven't been sacked, or resigned. Rather, the organisation I work for has moved from its current premises. However, thanks to a series of staggeringly inept decisions, (or, to be more accurate, non-decisions), we currently have nowhere permanent to move to. Instead, staff have been relocated to two temporary locations. The good part of my relocation is that it is only five minutes walk from house, the bad, as I've alluded to, is that I'll be forced to 'hot desk'. As I've mentioned before, I spend most of my time working out of the office. Nevertheless, I do still need to do a fair amount of paper work, and this situation will cause me major inconvenience. Anyway, having spent so long working there, I thought I'd take some pictures of my old work place. So, I give to you a melancholy slide show of the old place as it was this morning:




The first three shots are of my office, followed by the main admin office and one of the judge's chambers. To finish up, there are a series of the kind of panoramic views of Crapchester that we can no longer enjoy.

The whole moving business has stirred up the feeling in me that maybe it is about time I moved on. I've been feeling very restless of late, nagged by a vague sense that I need to get out of a rut and do something different. I even found myself looking at American cars again. However, I don't think that buying another Mustang or Camaro, (or even that Trans Am I never got round to owning during my last US car phase), will satisfy these urges. Perhaps I should move house, or take time out from work and go to California (another unfulfilled ambition). Ultimately, though, I keep coming back to the fact that I really need to do something different to earn a living, before I'm too old to change tracks. Previous attempts haven't worked out though - teaching led nowhere, for instance. I still keep pondering whether there is some way I can build on this - the blog and The Sleaze - to create some alternative form of income. God knows, I need to do something more creative for a living than my current employment.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home