Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Magic of Social Networking?

Exactly how do social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter come up with those 'people you might know/like to follow' lists? I always assumed, in the case of Facebook, at least, that they were derived, in part from the friends lists of people you've accepted friend requests from, cross-fertilised with information in your profile, to try and match up likes, locations and such like. In which case, why does Facebook keep trying to get me to befriend magicians and conjurers? It's not just the 'people you might know lists' - virtually all of the friend requests I get (and reject) are from magicians of one sort or another. Which means I must be showing up in their 'people you might know lists'.

I wouldn't mind, but I'm not a magician, I have never performed conjuring tricks and there is nothing in my profile to suggest that I'm an illusionist of any kind. I'll admit to having watched the likes of David Nixon and Paul Daniels on TV when I was a kid, but I've never been interested in emulating them. Oh, and I have watched Jonathan Creek, but I'm not sure if that counts, as he isn't actually a magician, he just designs the tricks, (when he isn't solving murders). So where is this obsession on Facebook's part coming from? It's quite disturbing. So please, Face book, stop. I am not a magician, I am not interested in magic and I don't want to meet any conjurers, for friendship or any thing else. OK?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home