Friday, March 04, 2011

Inching Forward...

I haven't said much about my planned re-vamp of The Sleaze lately. This is mainly because it is going nowhere fast. A week of attempting to create a new HTML framework for some page templates that I could adapt to Wordpress taught me that I really don't have the patience to hand code any more. It also became obvious that things have moved on in the world of web design since I last coded web pages, and I just don't have the time or the patience to learn new tricks. Consequently, I decided to bite the bullet and use an existing theme. As I've undoubtedly mentioned before, I'm afraid that I have a fairly low opinion of most free Wordpress themes, both on grounds of aesthetics and functionality. So, I decided that I was prepared to buy a premium theme. The trouble is that most of these fall well short of my expectations in terms of what I expect in well-designed web site.

That said, I thought that I had finally found a suitable theme which, with some minor customization, could be what I was looking for - relatively simple, yet aesthetically pleasing and reasonably user-friendly in terms of ease of navigation. But - and there's always a but - I've now noticed that it truncates longer story titles on the front page, something that I really don't like. If I have a long title, it's for a reason, and I wan't people to see it. Because of this, I thought that it was going to be back to the drawing board. However, I think that there could be a solution - the theme allows for double-width posts on the front page, which should be able to avoid the shortening of longer titles. That said, I still haven't actually bought the theme, I'm still looking to see if there are any alternatives which do roughly the same thing, but will require less customization. Nevertheless, it remains the front-runner.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home