Monday, September 14, 2009

Where's My Bloody Traffic Gone (Again)?

Maybe it is because I went back to work today, but I'm not in the best of moods. Which is probably why the total lack of traffic to The Sleaze today, despite a new story being posted and various other traffic generating efforts on my part, is really pissing me off. Once again, I find myself asking why I bother? Well, this time I really have had enough. I've got better things to do with my time. So fuck the lot of you. Despite what I frequently say about The Sleaze being an 'underground' site and not wanting hordes of visitors who aren't really interested in its content, who have just come because it is 'trendy', or the latest internet 'sensation', I do get very irritated by the fact that, in spite of knowing that I have the superior product content-wise, it is other sites, full of truly crappy, poor quality stories, which seem to get, not only a high volume of traffic, but also greater recognition both on the web and in the wider media.

Before I start sounding too egocentric and arrogant, it isn't just The Sleaze which I see suffering in this respect - there are a whole slew of humour and satire sites out there regularly publishing innovative and high quality material, which barely register on the public's radar. Hell, The Watley Review, Wear Your Cape, Satirium and All Day Coffee, to name but a few, put out some great stuff, but do they get the recognition they deserve? Indeed, you can say the same for just about any of the sites featured on Humorfeed. Why is that? Interestingly, I was reading an article in The Guardian the other day about teenaged bloggers who have become influential, when I came across a quote from a media commentator, who noted that sites often increase their traffic and visibility, regardless of the quality of their content, as a result of being linked to by an established popular site or featured in a newspaper. In either case, they noted, the exposure they get is based on luck. The sad truth is that, still, the popularity of sites is based upon fads, rather than quality. no wonder I get pissed off...

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home