Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Snow Go...

If there is one type of meteorological phenomena I detest, it is snow. I hate the way the entire country seems to become paralysed as soon as a single flake falls. I hate the way it outstays its welcome, and lingers, dirty and grey, for days on end, making a nuisance of itself. Most of all, I hate the way too many people use it as an excuse to skive off of work. Speaking as someone who has struggled in to work for the past couple of days of the present snow fall, I really have little sympathy for those who couldn't be bothered to even try. OK, so I know that this Winter's snowfall has been the heaviest for nearly two decades and there might be some people living in really remote areas who might just be genuinely cut off, but for the vast majority, there really is no excuse. Just because the snow is deeper than usual doesn't mean you can't walk, or even drive, through it. Yes, I know that a lot of public transport didn't run, making some journeys near impossible, but, again, this is something that I find unforgivable. Given that the operators of such services had the same warning as the rest of us that this weather was on the way, it is absolutely unforgivable that they were apparently so unprepared they were unable to run trains and buses.

The scale of absenteeism yesterday was staggering - the roads were empty (although quite safe to drive on) and my local town centre deserted. I know I'm sounding like a kill-joy, but I really don't think bad weather should be taken as an excuse for a day off. Whilst the public transport situation wasn't helping, too many people didn't even seem to try getting in to work - they just gave up at the first obstacle and went home. Strangely, something similar seemed to happen again today, despite most public transport being restored and there being less snow on the roads. Funny that. For those of us who are bothering to go to work, this is pretty annoying, to put it mildly. There really is no excuse anymore. Although, of course, that doesn't stop people from making them - it's too slippery to drive, the schools have closed and I have to stay at home with the kids, etc. Well, tough. Learn to drive properly - it really isn't that difficult to drive in snowy conditions if you keep your speed down. Get child care - don't make your decision to inflict your offspring on the world my problem. See, these alleged problems are easily solved! Basically, just get back to bloody work! Don't you people have any personal pride? I do - I'm damned if I'll be dictated to by anyone or anything with regard to my daily activities - not even the weather! OK, rant over - for now. However, if tomorrow turns out to be a third day in a row of the skivers using the snow as an excuse to stay at home, I'm likely to get very pissed off!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home