Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Jehovah's Nazis?

One of the disadvantages of being home all morning (I was waiting for the garage to finish servicing the car), is that all the door-to-door weirdoes can catch you in. The funny thing is that I usually have no qualms whatsoever about ignoring knocks at my door if I can't be arsed to speak to anybody. However, for some unknown reason, this morning I answered the door. Big mistake. It was the Jehovah's Witnesses. Interestingly, whilst they are usually middle aged women, this delegation consisted of a pair of male OAPs. Anyway, to get to the point, they did the usual bible brandishing and religious spiel, but then started drifting off into right wing politics. I kid you not. All of a sudden we'd jumped from the word of Jesus to the fact that Britain was being over run by immigrants. Clearly, this was seen as some sign that the end times were upon us, another sign being the recent flooding.

I must say, I was somewhat shocked. Bearing in mind that Jesus told us to 'Love thy neighbour' and to 'do unto others, etc.', I'd always assumed that Christians of all stripes would be seeking to help immigrants and make them welcome. Indeed, I have a friend who is a Jehovah's Witness and she's one of the nicest people you could hope to meet, so, quite naturally, I was quite perturbed by the visit of Himmler and Goebbels. Could it be that the Jehovah's Witnesses have been infiltrated by the Nazis? Are they using the Watchtower as a cover for spreading anti-Semitism and extremist politics? Perhaps the two I encounter dress up as SS stormtroopers at weekends and re-enact the Battle of the Bulge (with the difference that this time the Germans win)? Who knows. What I do know is that I won't be opening that door again unless the person on the other side is using my patented secret knock...

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home