Tuesday, August 04, 2026

More Converter Wagons


Back to the model railway.  As I'm planning to dismantle the current excuse for a layout and start constructing an expanded version, I thought that I'd take some time over the next few weeks to shoot some videos of some of the more recently acquired locos and stock.  First, however, I thought that I'd revisit the business of converter wagons, which allow my Trix and Dublo  locos to run with stock fitted with Triang-style couplings.  Last time around I had only the solitary Triang/Dublo converter wagon.  It has now been joined by a homemade Trix/Triang converter wagon - basically just an old Trix mineral wagon I picked up cheaply which had been fitted with Triang couplings - I substituted a Trix coupling for one of these and voila!  My fleet of converter wagons doubled!

Anyway, the video shows the ever dependable Trix Warship, first with the Triang/Dublo converter wagon on a tanker train composed of assorted Triang, Hornby, Airfix and Mainline wagons, then with the Trix mineral wagon based homemade converter wagon. It is then - briefly - joined by the Trix Standard 5 with the Triang/Dublo converter and an assortment of Triang, Hornby and Wrenn wagons. The Trix wagons I recently acquired should have been part of the latter train, but misbehaved badly, as did the Standard 5, limiting its appearances in this video.  The main problem with the Trix wagons were, surprise, surprise, the couplings.  Now, I know this will upset all those people out there who champion Peco-type couplings, as used by Trix and Dublo, but in my experience, they simply do not work particularly well: frequently failing to couple at all and, even when coupled, uncoupling themselves with monotonous regularity.  Having discovered how easy it is to fit Triang couplings to Trix wagons, my intention is to fit all but the converter wagons with them at both ends and just use the latter to allow the Trix and Dublo locos to couple up to goods trains.  

That's it for this time, hopefully I'll have some more short videos of various other locos and stock in action soon. 

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home