Friday, May 21, 2021

Losing Patience

Maybe it is because I'm still feeling a bit of pain from my back, or perhaps it is because of the reaction to my second Covid vaccine dose, which left me feeling exhausted for most of the week, but I've found myself losing patience with various groups and people.  In particular, I've decided that I'm tired of arguing with anti-vaxxers.  Unfortunately, I know a few and from now on, if they start spouting their nonsense, I'm just going to tell the straight: that they are ignorant, selfish idiots.  The time for trying to reason with them is over.  I really am weary of their pathetic excuses for avoiding vaccination and the way they will clutch at anything to justify their stupidity.  Most recently I was told that the fact that some people have contracted Covid even after being vaccinated 'proves' that they are right in shunning the vaccine.  All that shows is that they have a fundamental misunderstanding of how vaccines work - they can't stop you from actually contracting a virus.  They don't set up an impenetrable force field around your body.  What they actually do is to prepare your immune system to fight specific viruses - if you are lucky (which most people are), you'll barely notice that you've contracted the virus as it will be neutralised almost immediately.  In other cases, you'll get symptoms, but at a far milder level than if you hadn't been vaccinated - you'll probably avoid the risk of hospitalisation and certainly the risk of death.  But these idiots don't care about facts - they are typical conspiracy freaks who just want to be able to point at some 'evidence' and shout 'Hah! See - I was right all along.  All you sheep went along with the man, but they couldn't fool me!  I'm just too smart!'.  Which is simply infantile.

I've similarly lost all patience for what passes as sports journalism in this country.  Well, to be specific, football reporting.  If, like me, you are, for your sins, a follower of the spurs, then these past few weeks have been made virtually unendurable.  Not so much by the erratic performances of the team on the pitch, but rather by the endless 'reporting' of the 'crisis' at the club.  I'm tired of reading how many managers have apparently 'snubbed' the club in the search for a new manager.  Really?  I'm not sure how they can have 'snubbed' Spurs when the job hasn't, so far, actually been offered to anyone.  Sure, several individuals identified by the press as candidates have taken up other offers or been linked to other vacancies, but that isn't the same thing at all.  Likewise all those 'short lists' of candidates the club is supposedly considering - all different, yet still confidently offered up by pundits as if they were fact.  The reality is that nobody outside of Daniel Levy and his closest aides have any idea as to they might be considering for the post.  But hey - here's a manager who is a free agent or rumoured to be leaving their current club, Spurs have a vacancy, so they must be a candidate, seems to be the 'logic' employed.  This, along with the other game of linking any manager previously rumoured to have been considered by the club for previous vacancies, really is the epitome of lazy journalism: it involves the bare minimum of research and no thought whatsoever.  As for the current circus currently surrounding Harry Kane - well, I'm doing my very best to avoid the latest completely made up transfer speculation.  Regardless of what Kane and/or his agent choose to leak to the press, the reality is that he is in the middle of a six year contract, meaning that Spurs don't have to sell him and that other clubs can't approach him, making all this transfer talk nothing more than pure speculation.  But why let facts get in the way of a headline?  But I'm just not listening any more.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home