Monday, April 12, 2021

Bad Recommendations

The stuff YouTube puts on its homepage as viewing recommendations continue to perplex me.  I honestly can't figure out how some of them are in any way 'inspired' by my previous viewings and searches.  At least the dubious stuff about 'breast feeding' and the like that were appearing a couple of years ago have vanished.  (That said, I lately had a spate of recommendations which seemed, judging by the thumbnails, to feature young women in their bathing suits or underwear, all apparently to do with beauty contests and fashion shoots.  Quite what triggered these, I don't know, but my refusal to click on any seems to have resulted in them vanishing).  Right now, there are a number of bird videos showing up.  That's birds of the feathered variety, obviously.  Now, I have to say that I have no interest in ornithology whatsoever and I can honestly say that I haven't ever looked at any kind of bird-spotting videos.  While the bird stuff has just appeared, last week I had a spate of videos about hamsters and guinea pigs - like the real thing, they just seemed to keep multiplying and I had to go through the entire home page marking them as 'not interested' before I got any respite.  I wouldn't mind, but I've never owned a hamster or guinea pig, let alone watched a video about one.  (I did have a gerbil when I was eight or nine, but that's an entirely different rodent).

Worst of all, I keep getting Norman Wisdom movies turning up.  Now, I hate and loathe Norman Wisdom with a vengeance.  I go out of my way to avoid his films when they show on TV, (which they do with disturbing regularity).   So I'm really confused as to why these bloody things keep showing up.  It isn't as if I spend time searching for or watching old films featuring other British comics of yesteryear, which might explain their presence.  Indeed, I don't understand why I don't get more stuff related to Italian horror films, British sex comedies and general schlock turning up as recommendations, bearing in mind the amount of time I spend searching YouTube for trailers and the like relating to such things. As ever, I frequently find myself suspecting that some of the stuff that turns up in these YouTube recommendations have less to do with what I've been watching there than they do upon more general web searches I've made, other sites I've visited and even e-mails I've received.  Which is highly disturbing, as it implies an even higher level of web surveillance and data mining on the part of Google et al than one assumes is going on, (and I assume a very high level, anyway).  Jesus Christ!  I've just checked again and now I've got bloody Jeremy Clarkson videos being recommended.  That really is the bloody limit!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home