Monday, November 02, 2020

Back to Normal

Back to normal.  Posting wise, that is - we're far from back to normal in any other sense.  After a Halloween week of solid film reviews. I can finally get back to to writing about the usual old bollocks I talk about here.  Don't misunderstand me, I enjoy writing about the various films of dubious quality that I watch, but writing about nothing else for a week gets to feel very restrictive.  There were so many other things going on in the world last week that I was just itching to write about, but I'd committed myself to writing up those films.  Besides, they also formed the basis for the most recent podcast I've got up over at the Overnightscape Underground, (a podcast I only remembered that I was meant to be delivering on Saturday, giving me a few hours to record and edit it in).  So, now we're back to normal, (although there are still plenty of film write ups imminent), what's been going on that's worthy of comment?  Well, just as I predicted, we're heading into another national lockdown, (not that you had to have powers of clairvoyance to predict that).  Thanks to our government's usual inability to make the difficult decisions until everything is on the verge of spiraling out of control, instead of a couple of weeks in September or October, by way of a 'firebreak', we're getting the whole of November locked  down. Which is bloody inconvenient for me, as I was planning to get my car serviced and MoT'd this month -the service is long overdue and the extended MoT expires at the end of December).  As I'm assuming that garages will have to close, this means I now can't do anything before next month.

Then there's the US presidential election.  I find it incredible that there are still Americans out there prepared to vote for the fat boy still.  If nothing else, can't they see the way in which he is trying to derail the democratic process, with his threats to try and have postal votes discounted, not to mention his threats of legal action if he doesn't win?  This is the only President in history who has refused, unequivocally, to commit to accepting the election's result if he loses.  Then there's the intimidation by his supporters - be it trying to run Biden campaign bosses off of the road in Texas, or blocking roads to polling places in California.  This alone, regardless of all the other bigotry, cheating, corruption and incompetence that his administration has been responsible for, should be enough for any decent, intelligent person to vote Biden or, at the very least, abstain.  But apparently not.  There are still alarming numbers of Trump voters out there, particularly in the so called 'swing states'.  I'd really like to be confident, this close to the election, that Trump was down and out - but 'm not and the prospect of another four years of Trump are terrifying, not just for the US, but for the rest of the world as well.  Still, on a brighter note, I have finally started rewiring the railway which, so far, has resulted in me burning my fingers with a soldering iron, (I blame my friend for keep sending me texts, thereby distracting me and making me pick it up from the wrong end).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home