Tuesday, July 07, 2020

The Pure Hell of Tuesdays

Tuesday is rapidly turning into a 'hump' day for me - I spend most of it feeling tired and listless, unable to focus on anything and plagued by vague feelings of dissatisfaction.  Perhaps it is because I only work a four day week: Tuesday becomes the equivalent to Wednesday, that awkward midweek day which always feels as if it is neither one thing nor the other.  Except, of course, that these days, Wednesday, in my four day week, is close enough to the end of the working week for me that it doesn't feel like a drag.  But I suspect the real reason that this time of the week  drags so much for me has more to do with the sheer boredom of work than anything else.  Since being recalled to work, I've spent the first two days of each week mainly working from home.  Except that there is actually no work to do.  The other two days are spent in the office, doing the most tedious admin work that management can find for me.  Really, it requires no intellectual input, no skill, has no variation and is just dull.  So, by Tuesday, not only have I endured a couple of days desperately trying to find work to do from home, but I'm facing the prospect of two further days of utter, soul destroying boredom. 

If work really doesn't have any suitable work for me to do, (my regular work is all but impossible thanks to lockdown restrictions and the stuff I do in the office has the whiff of desperation about it, just something someone has come up with to occupy me, with no actual value to it), then why don't they just offer me redundancy?   The answer, presumably, is that would cost them money, (under current rules they'd have to offer me 21 months worth of wages).  Although, surely, not as much as paying me to, essentially, do nothing.  Perhaps they are hoping that by subjecting me to this mind numbing boredom, I'll just up and leave.  Well, in point of fact, I do have plans in that direction, but nothing on that front is likely to occur before September.  In the meantime, I just don't know how much longer I can endure this mind crushing dullness.  It really is appalling, there are times during my office days when I, quite literally, want to scream.  There are times when it feels physically painful.  I can feel my life draining away as I sit there, doing this meaningless task, by rote.  The prospect of spending another two days doing this shit fills me with dread.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home