Friday, November 01, 2019

Where Have All the Pumpkins Gone?

So, I got it all done, after all.  My various Halloween projects, obviously.  The Halloween film review - of The Undertaker and His Pals - just about made it in, finally appearing yesterday evening.  I can't deny that the that the running length of The Undertaker and His Pals - sixty three minutes - influenced my decision to choose it as the Halloween film.  I really did feel that time was running out and that I'd bitten off more than I could chew, so the shorter the movie I had to watch, the better.  So it edged out the other main candidates, The Astro Zombies and The Embalmer - as they both ran closer to ninety minutes apiece.  I'm sure I'll get around to them in due course.  Anyway, after all that activity, Halloween ended up feeling anti-climactic.  Here in Crapchester, nobody seemed to want to make much of an effort.  In past years my street seemed to be full of pumpkins for days before Halloween - and they lingered for days afterwards.  This year, the pumpkins and other stuff didn't appear until yesterday afternoon and were gone again this morning.  They were also pretty sparse.  Still, the landlord of my local made an effort - there was a bloody skeleton sat in my favourite seat in the lounge bar.  The bony bastard didn't buy a pint all evening. 

Still, maybe everyone was too depressed by news of another General Election to be bothered to do anything for Halloween.  I mean, there are enough horrors to come, potentially, in the forthcoming election campaign.  Or perhaps they were all disappointed that Brexit didn't happen yesterday, so weren't in the mood to dress up as zombies.  After Halloween having been a damp squib, I can't help but suspect that the December election will have the same effect on Christmas.  Certainly, the result, whichever way it goes, will leave a lot of people feeling miserable, just in time for Christmas.  Personally, as I have no faith whatsoever in the British electorate, considering them to be a bunch of morons, I'm fully expecting us to end up with an extreme right-wing government for the next five years.  Which will leave me considering emigration.  Seriously.  The bank balance is looking very healthy right now and, if I were to sell my house, I could probably set up somewhere else and live comfortably.  Frankly, they should have set the election date for the middle of January - with any luck we would have had a cold snap by then which would have killed off a lot of the old codgers who voted for Brexit and think Boris Johnson is wonderful.  Just a thought.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home