Friday, October 19, 2018

Horror in Season

Halloween is fast coming up and there is a part of me that feels I should be doing something about it.  Not organising the local kids into 'trick or treat' expeditions, hurling eggs at my neighbours' front doors or doing some bobbing for apples, obviously, but rather doing something here, on this blog.  (Although, thinking about it, transforming my house into one of those Haunted Houses they have in the States and charging people to come in be scared shitless, does hold a certain appeal).  Lots of other sites seem to mark this time of year with countdowns throughout October, usually reviewing various horror movies, books or TV series.  There was a time when, every October, I used to run vaguely supernatural or horror themed stories over on The Sleaze.  However, it seemed to do nothing in terms of boosting traffic so, eventually, it came down to just one such themed story every October until, a couple of years ago, I even dropped that. Not only did nobody seem to care, but I was finding it increasingly difficult to come up with new story ideas.  There are only so many obscure horror films you can parody and the trouble is that most are so obscure that nobody realises that you are parodying anything.

But to get back to the point: should I be doing anything here to mark Halloween?  I mean, I don't do anything to mark in real life.  Sure, every time it rolls around again I have some vague idea that I'm going to watch some horror movies, maybe a giallo marathon, or something like that, but inevitably forget.  Which it easy to do when Halloween falls on a week day when you have to be up for work the next morning.  Which, let's face it, is most years.  It's not as if the main TV channels do anything much to mark Halloween these days - they don't even schedule late night horror movies unless it falls over a weekend.  So, what, if anything, should I do here?  I suppose that I could do a week of horror movie reviews, but the problem with that is that I'd have to watch them first and these days I just don't seem to have the time to watch that many movies over such a short period of time.  Perhaps I could confine it to a single review, posted on Halloween itself, which would be more manageable.  If I was really ambitious, I could go ghost hunting in an allegedly haunted house and present it as some kind of live feed.  Except that I don't know of any allegedly haunted houses around here.  Plus, I really can't be arsed to try and set up things like live video or audio feeds.  But the fact is that I'll probably end up forgetting that it is Halloween until it is too late to do anything.  As usual.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home