Monday, November 27, 2017

I Just Don't Care...

I don't care.  About the 'Royal engagement' and subsequent 'Royal wedding', obviously.  All day I've been listening to or watching news broadcasts shouting:  "There must be some real news for Fuck's sake - tell us abut it!"  If I was a conspiracy theorist, I'd be noting how convenient the timing of this announcement has been, pushing the ongoing chaos of the government's Brexit negotiations, rows within the Tory party over yet more defence cuts and yet another crisis in the NHS out of the headlines all day.  I might also argue this is a blatant attempt to create a 'feel good' factor with which to distract the populace from ongoing austerity and the government's economic incompetence.  But obviously, that would just be paranoid nonsense, wouldn't it?  But to get back to the point, regardless of timings, motivations and news agendas, I simply have no interest in this 'story' whatsoever.  Damn it, I don't like regular weddings, so why would I be interested in a Royal one?  Ditto for the forthcoming 'Royal birth'. 

Nevertheless, despite my lack of interest, as a tax payer I'll inevitably end up footing the bill for both of these 'events'.  And, apparently, I won't even get a day off for the bloody wedding.  I'm sure that's the only reason there wasn't a revolution last time there was one of these events - it was declared a bank holiday.  Now, I don't know whether the upcoming Royal wedding will be mounted with the usual pomp and circumstance (not to mention expense), but assuming it is, I surely can't be the only person who feels that staging such a thing at the same time that we're all being urged to 'tighten our belts' again and facing even more cuts in public service is pretty perverse.  Then again, the continuing existence of an hereditary monarchy funded by public money is pretty perverse.  I've never been able to understand the grovelling devotion of so many people toward a bunch of parasites whose only qualification for holding their position is that their parents held it before them.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home