Friday, September 26, 2014

Uninteresting Times

You know, it occurred to me yesterday, whilst writing about my sense of listlessness this week, that since I've been back at work after my Summer leave, the only remotely interesting thing which has happened to me was my car remote locking not working.  Not permanently not working. Just temporarily, at a specific location.  The other week, you see, I found myself parked in one of those strange blackspots where the signal from a car's key fob is blocked, so that the remote locking won't work and you have to lock and unlock the vehicle manually.  Which is a pain.  I've no idea how common these blackspots are - I'd heard of them, but this was the first time I'd encountered one myself.  Apparently, they are caused by some electronic device in the are putting out a signal on the same frequency used by the remote locking systems of cars so powerful that it blocks them.  Faulty TV signal boosters and wireless TV signal distributors are amongst the worst culprits, I'm told.

Anyway, I was left asking myself: is this what my life has come to - when my car not locking remotely counts as an 'interesting' or even 'bizarre' incident?  No wonder I've been feeling listless of late.  I remember the times when I seemed to encounter the strange and intriguing on a daily basis.  Perhaps the problem is that I've become too set in my routines.  I always see to be visiting the same places and seeing the same old faces (and having the same desultory conversations with them).  Clearly I need to make some changes and bring some excitement back into my life.  I used to know people who were unpredictable and, frankly, certifiably insane.  They scared the crap out of me, but they were never dull and I felt alive around them, (and scared).  I used to go out of my way to drive down roads and lanes I'd never travelled on before, just to see where they led.  I really need to get back to that.  If I can find the energy, that is.  That's the trouble with feeling listless - seeking excitement requires too much effort.  We'll see.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home