Thursday, September 25, 2014

On the Turn

Well, here we are, nearing the end of a listless week.  I just haven't been able to settle to anything or kindle any real interest in any of my ongoing projects, let alone work.  I knew I wanted to write a new story for The Sleaze, for instance, but, despite having a pretty good idea of what I wanted to write, I just couldn't get down to writing it.  In the end I settled for re-working some older material from here, topping and tailing it with some new stuff to provide it with a topical frame.  Lazy, I know, but I have to say that the end result was much better than I could have hoped for - not brilliant, but not at all bad.  (As an aside, the story in question has gone on to confirm that the current cabinet minister who excites the strongest reaction in people is Iain Duncan Smith - write something disparaging about him and there are a whole army of haters out there who will come and read it.  Which is fair enough.  He deserves it - he really is the epitome of the completely out-of-touch Tory bastard with his relentless crusades and against the poor.  No other minister stirs up such a hostile reaction, not even Gove).

But to return to the original point, I really don't know where his week's listlessness has come from. Maybe its down to the fact that the season is now clearly turning.  Despite the sunny start to September, it is beginning to feel more like Autumn, particularly in the evenings.  It's getting dark earlier and there's a distinct Autumnal chill in the air.  It is also beginning to smell like Autumn, as the laves begin to fall.  All of which can't help but  make one nostalgic for those balmy days of Summer (well, July, when it was sweltering, rather than the damp August which followed).  It reminds us that we're inevitably heading for Winter and will have to wait another year for Summer's warmth to return.  Not that there's anything wrong with Autumn.  I've always much preferred it to Winter or Spring, which are all too frequently ill-tempered and changeable in weather terms.  Lacking Winter's bleakness and Spring's false promises, Autumn is, I find, a far kinder and friendlier season.  But enough of these seasonal musings.  Hopefully I'll be able to shrug off this listlessness soon and get back on track.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home