Thursday, June 12, 2014

World Cup Woes

Well, the World Cup is upon us at last.  (They're just kicking off as I type this).  Which means that for the next few weeks nobody will be reading anything I post here or at The Sleaze.  I know there's no logical reason why web traffic to non-World Cup related sites should fall so drastically when the event is on, but past precedent tells me that every time there's a major sporting event on during the Summer, my web traffic, (what's left of it these days), goes south.  Sure, when matches are being shown live, I'd expect traffic from the countries involved to dip significantly, but at the end of the day, just because there's a global sporting event in progress, there's no reason for people to stop searching for the stuff that brings them to non-sporting sites.  I suspect that it is all down to google adjusting their algorithm during such events to favour related sites regardless of their relevance to the search term.  They supposedly do something similar to 'seasonally adjust' their search results at Christmas.

Anyway, this inevitable lull in traffic give me the perfect excuse to slacken off the current pace of updates to The Sleaze.  We've been averaging a story a week since the New Year and I'm running out of steam.  I need a break.  There are other projects I want to work on, not only that, but it's Summer and I'd like to get out and enjoy the good weather.  I was planning to slow down , anyway.  The only reason I've kept up the current schedule of updates was to help out the reincarnated Humorfeed, but the new members there are turning out more than sufficient stories to keep it going and attract traffic.  So, I'm going to take it easy over the Summer months and cut back to three new stories a month (plus editorials and any other features I come up with) over at The Sleaze.  Then again, I might suddenly be struck with inspiration and start cranking out stuff at an even faster rate.  Who knows?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home