Friday, April 18, 2014

A Pretty Good, Good Friday


Not being of a religious bent, I don't spend my Good Fridays watching Crapchester's 'Walk of Witness', where they re-enact Christ's last hours with some bloke with a beard carrying a huge wooden cross through the town centre.  I have no idea how realistic it is - whether someone else dressed as a Roman soldier whips him as he walks, or whether it culminates with him being nailed to the cross in the local park, just in front of the kiddies' swings - but, to be frank, I've seen the film and read the book, so I know how it all turns out. (Spoiler alert: even though it seems to end in tragedy, come the Easter Monday Bank Holiday, he rises from the tomb to give us an upbeat ending to the holiday).  Instead, as you can see from the picture, I decided to go and get stared at by a sheep.

To be fair, that wasn't actually my intent, it just happened - and it wasn't just the one sheep that stared at me: there were several who took it in turns.  I decided to enjoy the good weather by going out to my favourite Iron Age hill fort for a walk.  I forgot that during the Spring they let sheep graze there.  I also forgot that, as it was a Bank Holiday and wasn't raining, the place would be crawling with people.  Worse still, crawling with people with dogs and children.  It's amazing, bearing in mind the number of signs up telling people to keep their dogs on a lead there are on the site, how many of the bloody shitting machines, sorry, dogs, were running around free, annoying people.  The children weren't much better.  It really is about time they banned dogs and children from historical monuments.  Not to mention the bloody cyclists who treat bridleways as cycle paths and come careering down them at high speed, nearly colliding with walkers like myself.  However, despite these irritations, it was another pretty good day off of work.  And I stared those sheep out. 

I'll leave you with a picture of part of the vistas I enjoyed today:


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home