Thursday, April 17, 2014

The Testament According to Dave

What a difference a day off makes.  I find myself transformed from an exhausted and disaffected wreck into a relaxed and content human being after a day of doing very little other than lying in bed, watching an Italian war movie and getting my car's brakes and tyres replaced, (this last cost me a small fortune, but I'm so mellowed out that I don't care).  I'm so relaxed, in fact, that David Cameron's latest attempts to cast himself as some kind of spiritual leader didn't have me foaming at the mouth.  Instead, it just had me sadly shaking my head at this pathetic excuse for a human being's hubris in presuming to be able to lecture non-believers on the subject of Christian values.  As an atheist, I feel that I have a sounder grasp of the Christian faith Cameron claims he wants to  evangelise.  For one thing, I'm pretty sure Jesus said that the meek would inherit the earth, not smug privately educated bankers claiming huge bonuses and oozing privilege. Not to mention the fact that he threw the money lenders out of the temple rather than giving them the keys to it.

Then there's the matter of the government's treatment of the poor and disadvantaged, which seems completely add odds with the teachings of Jesus, as I understand them.  But that's the point, of course - the right's 'understanding' of Christianity has nothing to do with the original scriptures.  Rather, it is the organised religion built upon them which attracts the right-wingers as it seems to legitimise a strict hierarchical social system, where wealth can buy you a better pew, not to mention a better place in the hereafter.    All the pomp and ceremony, the robes and the stained glass windows appears to them to legitimise material values, even though, if they ever bothered to look into it, the original basis of the faith teaches the complete opposite.  But that shouldn't surprise us, as 'Jesus' Cameron seems to have everything back to front: Christ supposedly died for our sins, whereas Cameron and his cronies apparently want all of us plebs to die for their sins.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home