Friday, July 29, 2011

Nearing the Finish Line...

In between constructing the new version of The Sleaze, I finally managed to get another story written and posted on the existing version this week. Not the story I'd originally planned, but events rather overtook me - the planned story had a reference in it that, in the light of last weekend's events in Norway, might have seemed a little tasteless, even by my standards. As the site has a small, but loyal, readership in Norway, I decided I didn't want to risk alienating them. Consequently, Her Majesty Exposed was cobbled together at short notice. It's a bit of a bodge-up, but it's actually done pretty well in terms of traffic. Hopefully, the story it replaced will run later this year, in the all-new revamped Sleaze.

Speaking of the revamp, it's getting pretty close to going live. All of the stories, both current and archived, are now on the database, as are the editorials and about half the reviews. All that remains is to transfer the rest of the reviews, the Total Bollocks columns and to recreate departments like the letters column, links and staff profiles as static pages. After that, it's just a case of customising the theme slightly and setting up the mobile version, before testing the new version with some specially selected by-invitation-only visitors to iron out any kinks. What all of this means in practice is that I'm still on course to have the new site up and running some when in the latter half of August. I'm still in two minds as whether to continue publishing stories as normal, or to hold back August's planned stories until the switchover. I'll mull it over this weekend.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home