Thursday, February 09, 2023

Still Plumbing the Depths

Look, I'm sorry, I really wanted to write something interesting and pop-culture related today but, instead, I'm going to have a moan.  I've spent a large part of my week trying to deal with a plumbing problem.  I know, I know, after the saga of my heating system problems last Autumn, I thought that it had all been sorted and I wouldn't have to think about it again for a long time.  But no, now a pipe has sprung a leak, or rather, to be precise, a soldered joint on the pipe feeding the hot water cylinder's heating coil has sprung a leak.  Irritatingly, even though the leak is in the airing cupboard and awkwardly placed, it should be possible for me to carry out a repair, even if only temporary until I can get the plumber in - if I could obtain the right materials.  What I needed was a particular type of repair putty made by Evo-Stik, which can be applied while the pipes are still wet and leaking.  I've used it in the past and even managed to find what was left of my last stick of it which, after more than a decade, has hardened beyond use.  It's still made and supposedly widely available - except that it is out of stock everywhere in Crapchester and seems to be in short supply elsewhere, as are alternatives made by other manufacturers.  I could try and buy it online, but at vastly inflated prices.  So, why is there a sudden shortage of something that is actually a pretty basic tool for home repairs, (not just for sealing leaking pipes, but also for repairing ceramics, wood and even as a pretty powerful adhesive)?  

I'm sure that if I enquired about it, I'd be given the explanation of the present moment - it's all down to the war in Ukraine.  Although, as far as I'm aware, none of the constituents come exclusively from Ukraine, (although sunflower oil apparently does, if I'm to believe the reasons given for sunflower spread suddenly becoming unavailable).  Either that or it will be vaguely ascribed to 'supply chain problems', (which really means Brexit-related import delays - but we're not allowed to say that as the benefits of Brexit are, apparently, beyond question).  These shortages of random items is becoming endemic in the UK, it seems and nobody in authority wants to acknowledge it, let alone address the issue.  So, for now, I'm going to have to find a different approach to solving my problem.  Consequently, I've isolated the hot water system, (I'm back to using the back-up immersion heater to get hot water), which has allowed the coil to drain itself into a bucket.  With it now dry and drip free, I'm going to attempt to use a different type of putty, which requires a dry surface for application, to seal the joint.  In fact, I intend to use two types of sealant - once the putty has hardened I intend covering it and the joint with another two part sealing epoxy I've acquired.  If it stops the leak when I put the hot water system back on line, I might also add a layer of waterproof repair tape, just to make sure (although this seems to be in short supply as well).  With any luck, that will hold it for a while, until it is convenient to get a plumber in.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home